Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Poem

A Girl
by Ezra Pound

The tree has entered my hands,
The sap has ascended my arms,
The tree has grown in my breast-
Downward,
The branches grow out of me, like arms.

Tree you are,
Moss you are,
You are violets with wind above them.
A child - so high - you are,
And all this is folly to the world.

Ezra uses a central metaphor in her poem to compare the maturing of a girl into a women to the growth of nature. Just as the girl is maturing and growing, so is nature. In this poem, a girl/woman is depicted as the most beautiful thing in the world. Ezra wrote, "You are violets with wind above them" (8). This line tells us that Ezra believes that nothing is more beautiful in the world than a girl/woman. They are the utmost beautiful things in the world. Except women aren't treated that way. Ezra wrote, "And all this is folly to the world" (10). This line explains to us that Ezra believes the world is blinded to how beautiful and graceful girls and women are in the world. Also, that the world has a lack of understanding of how beautiful and special women and girls really are. By making this comparison, Ezra suggests that girls grow the same way trees and flowers do, that they are beautiful and nothing can top their beauty, but they're unnoticed by the world.

2 comments:

RJ S. said...

I agree with your idea about this poem. I also think that it is about someone growing, probably a girl. The way the poem describes this transformation was interesting. It was interesting because the poet compared maturing of a person to growth of a tree. I like how you found that line that talks about the persons beauty, I agree with what you said about it. I also like with how you came up with the thought that they are ignored in the world, I didn't think of that in the poem before you said that. I thought you did a good job analyzing and describing this poem.

Kenzie T. said...

Wow this is a powerful peom. The central metaphor was so true, amd I really liked your analysis. It was cool how you brought up that the world is blinded to their beauty and doesn't seem to notice it. I walk by trees all the time and never really stop to admire them,and you brought up such a great point how it's important to stop and look.